

Parent Committee Meeting Notes

Meeting Date: 4/14/13

Present: Jason Couthern, Jim Custer, Julie Custer, Melissa Dana, Pete Davis, Jeff Englander, Allan Feeser, Paulette Kelley, Andrew Mitchell, Kathleen Norman, Jim Pala, Sean Parker, Tracy Roussey, Steve Unger, Steve Valley

I. Treasurer's Report – Melissa for Kathleen O.

II. New Leaders – Melissa

Wendy O'Connor taking over as Treasurer; Pete Davis – TroopMaster; Wally – Committee Chair Elect; Chris Ross and Paul Boos – ASMs.

We are still in need of volunteers for:

Fundraising

Training Coordinator

Secretary

III. Policy re: Adults without Children in Troop - Melissa

MD: To recap, a few times we have been approached by adults who want to help out our troop, usually as ASMs. Different scenarios to how we may respond to these overtures are listed in the attachment to the meeting agenda.

SV: I have changed my mind on this. What needs to be paramount is to have parents with kids in charge, so they can be in charge of troop policy. (Troop 895 has policy where long-time non-parents were dictating troop policy.)

SU: What job could they do at District?

MD: Lots of jobs at District, but not as much contact with boys.

AM: trust vs. risk. Unless person is a known relative, may be too risky.

PD: If we welcome all-comers, and then don't want to, may take umbrage.

?: Easier to have restrictive policy and then let them in than the opposite.

SV: my vote as I leave should count less than a new parent's, as they have to live with decision.

AF: What is policy of BSA? Can we have a policy to invite people in on an as-needed basis?

MD: Always follow the two-deep policy, in any case.

Jim C: BSA is open. We vet our own people. We have two who brought far more to the troop than they gave (Paul Valley and Bob McComas).

AF: what is the number for a quorum?

MD: 6 (25% of 21 Parent Committee members).

PD: Could take approach that the policy is no, except for the case of a super-majority. Litigious society.

AM: Add super-majority language plus alumnae and alumnae parents.

SV: Super-majority of both PCM and ASMs.

KN: Language now reads: No adults without a son in the troop will be allowed to register with our troop except by approval of a super-majority (75%) of the Parent Committee and a super-majority of the Assistant Scoutmasters.

Motion to vote on this language. All voted in favor.

IV. Troop Five Year Plan – Steve Valley

SV: He was researching where other troops stand on a 5-year plan. Four points: training, recruiting, membership, leadership. Our first five years have been spent just getting the troop off the ground, funded and equipped. Now need to make plans for the next 5 years. I can write up a draft, but how do people feel?

MD: Sounds like we should set up a Sub-Committee.

JC: Typically, a group will review and update a five-year plan every year. Very worthy and should form a Sub-Comm. This is a timely issue.

SV: We teach boys the 18-month calendar concept, always revising. So we should do the same.

MD: Anyone interested? Jeff E, Andrew M, Steve V, Steve U

KN: Should include a review and update of the Handbook as part of this. It is close to being finished, but needs a push.

MD: I will work with Chris Cozadd on this.

V. Eagle Scout Plaque – Jeff E

MD: Response online was all positive.

JE: \$245

Jason C: Miscellaneous line in budget \$2,500.

JE: Pewter, will not tarnish.

Vote: all in favor.

VI. Annual Troop Welcome Party – MD

May 11 at my house. Use hospitality budget line? Asking for \$500.

Jim C: \$1,000 in hospitality not broken down by each event.

Jason C: So need to figure out what has been spent this year.

Jim C: We should take extra from Mulch (\$1,500) and put into Misc.

SV: Need to confirm mulch amount.

Tracey: Don't need to vote for troop party funding, as it is already in budget.

VII. Board of Review for Life Scouts – MD

MD: Believe we need to add an extensive discussion of Scout Spirit to this BOR, as boys are drifting away once they reach this level. For example, have a Scout disappear for a year and then come back at the last minute to get Eagle, when he hasn't done anything for the troop.

SV: Scouts are coming in all ramped up for their Eagle project, without communicating to troop. This should be covered by the Life-to-Eagle Seminar.

Thought it had to be on calendar six months in advance?

MD: Doesn't Monique do this?

Jim C: No, she just does the paperwork.

Jason C: That is part of planning for an Eagle project.

Julie C: Where is the mentoring of Life Scouts working to Eagle?

AM: Scout needs to get his name on the 18-month planning calendar.

JP: It is the Scout's responsibility. That is the Eagle concept.

SV: That is what I'm talking about.

TR: Mentoring part is important.

Jim C: What matters is what Scoutmaster wants, and what does Melissa want?

KN: What is required by BSA?

Jason C: Read Eagle application – six requirements.